Sunday, September 12, 2010

Collage Project





Through my collage, I wanted to convey the beauty of life/nature, as well as the fast moving society we are a part of here in America.  I depicted a sun setting on the ocean, which represents my home in Florida.  It also represents the beauty of life and my home.  Then, above the sunset, there are four red points in the sky representing my family.  The red points are connected by film strips to show they share a bond and are together.  The film strips also represent roads, and an outline of a road leads from the family to downtown Franklin, my town.  I used an x-ray of my dad’s artery to represent Hillsboro road, which leads to Belmont; the brick rectangle.  The moon is to the left in a red sky.  I wanted the red to represent inspiration and art.  I believe art is in everything, especially nature!  Also branching off of the family constellation are two antennas which represent a satellite/music/and sound.  My family and I all play music together and that is a great part of our bond.  There are sound waves coming from the antennas, leading our eyes to the moon.  I included pictures of my friends in the ocean, also serving as memories.  There is also another antenna in the ocean only this one represents a cell phone antenna, because sometimes I feel as though my cell phone is taking over my life!  It also represents a way of communicating with friends, just another way to stay connected, which is a great part of our society today.  There is a brown rectangle in the far right corner which represents a building/factory spewing money (the green rectangles).  I feel this also symbolizes the values of America.  Our country is also very fast moving and rapidly changing so I wanted to create a sense of movement in this piece to convey the energy of America.  And I believe all of it is art, everything is connected. 
You: The sun represents me.  I’ve always felt a strong connection with the sun, growing up in Florida. It also represents my home, both the sun and the ocean. Also, the antennas in the sky represent my love for music and sound.  The colors represent my love for art and nature. 
Friends and Family:  I included pictures of my friends in the ocean on the collage which are very nostalgic memories. The four points in the sky represent my family; me, my mom, dad, and sister.  We are connected like a constellation and depend on one another. 
Your town, community, school:  My town, Franklin, is represented by the circle and roads above the family constellation.  The circle represents Downtown Franklin, a place I always go with my sister.  Then, branching from Franklin is a road, Hillsboro Road, leading to Belmont; the brick rectangle which is surrounded by green; the beautiful campus.  
Your country:  I wanted the movement in the piece to help represent the U.S.  Everything feels so fast paced here, we never stop moving!  Yet there is also a lot of change taking place in America.  Also, the money tree/factory/building on the right represents American values.
The world today:  Again, I wanted the movement and energy to convey fast paced society, our world today, as well as the cellphone antennas.  
Art:  I believe you can see art in everything and anything if you want to.  I included some  water color scraps I had painted to represent my love for art; the red in the sky as well as the orange.  Art has a way of connecting us, like cell phones, music, etc..
History: I thought of history as memory.  The ocean and sun is where I came from, and above it in the sky is my new home in Franklin, TN, and then Belmont is also another home to me.  In a sense, this collage is like a timeline of my moves in life.  They keep building off of one another and I keep learning more and more each move.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the look of your collage and how it appears to be abstract and in some places almost bordering non-representational. However, everything was included for a reason and has a purpose. I like the mixed media collage look that it has as well. I love the symbolism in your piece and there is so much of it. Everything in your explanation is represented through objects or photographs.
    There is definitely a strong use of line in your collage and think it's very helpful for the eye. Since it's so busy this helps me not to get lost while looking at it and I think it was organized very nicely. The colors and balance of the piece are very aesthetically pleasing. You really seemed to include all of the elements of the society we live in. I like how your collage parallels our lifestyle as Americans. The repetition of color and objects also really help to give it unity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your collage is really successful and true to the assignment because of your use of so many elements. I think your collage is thought through thoroughly and holds great personal meaning.
    Your placement of images is a little confusing to interpret and there isn't much depth(space), but I understand so much better after reading your statement about it.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how every piece of your collage has meaning but still look really good together. When I first looked at your collage, I noticed the sun and blue "sky" above it. I think these colors look really good against the background and it seems to give a place to focus then radiate outward. The ocean of photographs is also very clever and communicates well. There is a lot of use of lines that guide you to all the different elements. And most of all, the collage is just as pleasing when you look at it as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first glance, I did not understand your collage, but after reading your explanation it makes much more sense. I really like the idea of your family being like a "constellation" in the sky; it is very poetic and heartwarming. The colors in your piece are also very calming and happy. I have such mixed feelings about this work because while you thought through it very well and it all has deep meaning to you, I still feel as though communicating with the viewer is essential to a piece being successful. The lack of line and depth is distracting to me, but as a work that is in a minimalist style, it is very nice.

    ReplyDelete